Hate Hetalia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If you HATE HETALIA this is your place =)

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Scandinavia and The World

Go down 
+3
Lalala
ajshim
TheOutsider
7 posters
AuthorMessage
TheOutsider

TheOutsider

Scandinavia and The World Empty
PostSubject: Scandinavia and The World   Scandinavia and The World EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 3:40 pm

This isn't a manga. There should really be a general media section here. >.>

So does anyone know Humon's Scandinavia and The World series? It's can basically be described as Hetalia's Danish brother. Now, whether that's a good thing or not is up to you, because I want you to tell me your thoughts after you check out the comic here.
Back to top Go down
ajshim

ajshim

PostSubject: Re: Scandinavia and The World   Scandinavia and The World EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 7:30 pm

I've hearing about this one quite often recently. If you can link me website where I can read it then I'll gladly take a look into it.
Back to top Go down
TheOutsider

TheOutsider

PostSubject: Re: Scandinavia and The World   Scandinavia and The World EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 3:18 pm

ajshim wrote:
I've hearing about this one quite often recently. If you can link me website where I can read it then I'll gladly take a look into it.

I've already linked to it in my first post. XD (Just click the word 'here'.)
Back to top Go down
Lalala

Lalala

PostSubject: Re: Scandinavia and The World   Scandinavia and The World EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 2:39 am

Hetalia and Scandinavia and the World are actually really different *has read both* and I really have to say that SatW has more stereotype based characters, is more historical/ real-life relationship based, and doesn't have the whole "characters made to attract fangirls" (or fanboys if we look at Ukraine's *cough* 'tracks of land') part to it. I really wouldn't compare the two, since they're entirely different and only share the idea of personifying nations, which can be traced back to the years BC.
Back to top Go down
TheOutsider

TheOutsider

PostSubject: Re: Scandinavia and The World   Scandinavia and The World EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 11:56 am

Lalala wrote:
Hetalia and Scandinavia and the World are actually really different *has read both* and I really have to say that SatW has more stereotype based characters, is more historical/ real-life relationship based, and doesn't have the whole "characters made to attract fangirls" (or fanboys if we look at Ukraine's *cough* 'tracks of land') part to it. I really wouldn't compare the two, since they're entirely different and only share the idea of personifying nations, which can be traced back to the years BC.

But apparently Humon got the idea from Hetalia, so I'm not sure.

(Also, you CANNOT say Sister Sweden doesn't have any fanboys. Just look at those... things. Big, jiggly things.)
Back to top Go down
Lalala

Lalala

PostSubject: Re: Scandinavia and The World   Scandinavia and The World EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 12:37 am

Really? Hm... They're both still very different

(or Sister America for that matter)
Back to top Go down
Makkine

PostSubject: Re: Scandinavia and The World   Scandinavia and The World EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 1:13 am

I love SaTW, especially the sense of humour and the little descriptions underneath. They really make me want to learn more about Scandinavian countries, even if they aren't particularly educational in and of themselves.
Back to top Go down
TheOutsider

TheOutsider

PostSubject: Re: Scandinavia and The World   Scandinavia and The World EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 11:24 am

Lalala wrote:
Really? Hm... They're both still very different

(or Sister America for that matter)

(I think Sister Japan counts as well. I'd also include Sister Germany, but with that mustache...)
Back to top Go down
ajshim

ajshim

PostSubject: Re: Scandinavia and The World   Scandinavia and The World EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 6:00 pm

I really hope making comics that insults countries around the world doesn't become a trend!
Back to top Go down
TheOutsider

TheOutsider

PostSubject: Re: Scandinavia and The World   Scandinavia and The World EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 11:46 am

ajshim wrote:
I really hope making comics that insults countries around the world doesn't become a trend!

I thought it was the trend for decades.
Back to top Go down
GaGaalinG

GaGaalinG

PostSubject: Re: Scandinavia and The World   Scandinavia and The World EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 1:28 am

TheOutsider wrote:
ajshim wrote:

I thought it was the trend for decades.

yeah but Hetalia seems to hit where it hurts that's what the difference is. normally people don't make fun of Jewish people suffering and when they do everyone looks down on them and boos them. but Hetalia was set up with success automatically since it appealed to anime fangirls who have a weakness for cutesy wootsy stuffs. my question is would Hetalia be successful if it wasn't Japanese anime full of cuteness to hide away the offensiveness? look at all the banned loony toons cartoons.
Back to top Go down
ajshim

ajshim

PostSubject: Re: Scandinavia and The World   Scandinavia and The World EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 5:02 am

Or just banned cartoons / animations from any where in general.
Back to top Go down
GaGaalinG

GaGaalinG

PostSubject: Re: Scandinavia and The World   Scandinavia and The World EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 5:08 am

ajshim wrote:
Or just banned cartoons / animations from any where in general.

true true, there are a plethora of banned cartoons and shows for being offensive towards countries and or races. I can type in banned cartoon, or banned tv show or commercial or whatever, and those are only a few on youtube, there's thousands of them.
Back to top Go down
ajshim

ajshim

PostSubject: Re: Scandinavia and The World   Scandinavia and The World EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 12:50 am

There was in fact an educational video that was banned. The cartoon was from the 1990's Tiny Toons Adventures where 3 of the characters showed the horrible consequences when your drinking habits go out of hand. Yet it was banned. May I ask why an EDUCATIONAL video was banned, but a RACIST one was not?
Back to top Go down
GaGaalinG

GaGaalinG

PostSubject: Re: Scandinavia and The World   Scandinavia and The World EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 2:32 am

ajshim wrote:
There was in fact an educational video that was banned. The cartoon was from the 1990's Tiny Toons Adventures where 3 of the characters showed the horrible consequences when your drinking habits go out of hand. Yet it was banned. May I ask why an EDUCATIONAL video was banned, but a RACIST one was not?

"TINY TOONS" gets banned but Hetalia doesn't cuz Hetalia isn't "serious" it's just a "parody" what do people think Tiny Toons is... a documentary? lol
Back to top Go down
ajshim

ajshim

PostSubject: Re: Scandinavia and The World   Scandinavia and The World EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 6:18 pm

Tiny Toons had 3 episodes banned.
Back to top Go down
Deleted Account

PostSubject: Re: Scandinavia and The World   Scandinavia and The World EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 10:09 am

Last edited by birdistheworld on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ivan Braginski

Ivan Braginski

PostSubject: Re: Scandinavia and The World   Scandinavia and The World EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 8:53 am

Sorry if I insult you, I just want to get my point across.
1.) "Stereotypes. In APH, the author got so many things wrong. For example, Poles are NOT transvestites nor drag queens! Canadians aren't invisible!" The reason for a lot of the Hetalia quirks are Rule of Funny. Originally Hungary and Poland had each other personalities, he eventually changed this and as he said before "The only thing that stuck was the skirt." Hetalia characters are not meant to only represent their country or population but to also have their own original personalities. The reasoning behind Canada is that a lot of people forget about him. I do believe someone on here mentioned they didn't even know Canada was a country? Once again, not picking on anyone because I'm pretty sure they stated they were from a different country. Canadian culture is similar to The USA in many ways and they often get confused. A lot of Canada's war related stuff in WW2 was accidentally recorded as British or American. A common stereotype for Canadians are that they are quiet. I've heard of several Americans that actually believe that Canada was a state. So what happens is he focuses on this and creates a character based off of these humourous things.
2.) None of the countries in this series are shown as heroic or villains. The Axis have their flaws. Germany is into heavy bondage, is sadistic, a neat freak bordering on OCD. Japan is antisocial in many ways, also has naked wood cuttings, and is overly polite and unable to make his own decisions. Italy is.... you know Italy. The Axis is just as incapable of the Allies. And the Allies also have their issues as you have pointed out. But no country is a villain. If you make America out as the Golden Boy super hero and Germany as evil then what do you have? They do not represent their country well. There are many speculations about the war actually. A popular head canon (that I personally prefer though I like different ones of course) is that the countries do not know what they are fighting for or any idea why. Something that is pretty believable when you consider how much Germans actually understood during the Holocaust. Ignorance is bliss and a powerful and destructive weapon. The thing about Hetalia is they do not talk about concentration camps or the death toll or anything. Or nearly every country would be insane. The fights involve the personifications, the few times we do see armies are for humour shots, such as the Italian army retreating or to show how badass Hungary is with her Frying pan.
3.) The Korean thing is once again Rule Of Funny and in a way I understand why you may find this insulting. I actually love Korea, though I guess this doesn't count for anything. Korea is actually quite intelligent, he was able to make an invention work that Japan had failed at. And once again it is the stereotype thing with the "I claim everything!" A stereotype in Japan obviously. But the point of the show is to ramp up negative stereotypes. No one complains about America being dumb as a rock and unable to stop eating. I can understand how ever why you may find the Korean thing insulting, though I personally do not. But I am not Korean or from Korean, so I guess I don't really matter.
4.) Pairings. Yes, there are several plain old "Rule of Awesome." Pairings. I guess I don't see the problem with this. The thing is, it isn't all about canon history. This is why it is Fanfiction. Two Characters that seem to go perfectly together? Why not write a fluffy piece for them. It's about matching their personalities, country relations, and how cute they would look together. Wars equal angst and drama, something that is fun to read and write. Sweden and Finland are cute together so you pair them up. The reasoning being there is no reason not to. All I care about is if the story is well written, the plot interesting, and they stay in character. You can view the countries as simply countries or as people also.
5.) "I mean, the war for America was technically like "Ooh, a little boy, he's mine, let us go rape him" or something weird." Can I explain something real fast? None of the characters are canonly pedophiles. There are fanfictions and fanarts and all that stuff, but it is in all major fandoms. Hell, I've seen Teen Titans rape, incest, and Adult on Teenager slash kid ( couldn't think of the word for that... Heh... ) fanworks. It is in everything, since Hetalia is bigger and the characters are countries this just ramps up this stuff a lot more. The creator of Hetalia doesn't mean to make this completely historically accurate. Obviously the Pact of Steel wasn't a pinky promise. And Italy and Germany's alliance was one of convenience, not true love and friendship and rainbows. But it's only humour that really is insane.
6.) This is one argument I quite honestly do not like. "It's too big therefore I hate it" It can be obnoxious at times, but it does not discredit the show completely or the fanbase. There are annoying fans and there are sane fans. (I personally wouldn't consider myself either...) But there are fanart, fanfiction, and AMVs that are quite honestly beautiful written, drawn, or edited. There are fans that love speculating and talking about different historical events or trying to figure out how this country is feeling or how they think. (I am one of them. I love character interpretations) There are intelligent fans that enjoy learning about history. Don't hate on the entire fandom, the same way I'm not hating on the entire hatedom. Ignore the FanDumb and ignore the HateDumb is what I do.
7.) Oh crap, we're done? Sweet. Love SatW, love Hetalia, they're both extremely funny in my opinion/
Back to top Go down
Deleted Account

PostSubject: Re: Scandinavia and The World   Scandinavia and The World EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 9:57 am

Last edited by birdistheworld on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Ivan Braginski

Ivan Braginski

PostSubject: Re: Scandinavia and The World   Scandinavia and The World EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 10:12 am

I actually really love Canada. I find him absolutely hilarious and (have I mentioned I RP already? I do... heh... ) love the different ways he can be interpreted, especially how people I've met that RP as him all do him differently. One snarky, the other cutesy, and the last... err... I don't know the last, met him once. *killed* I'm American however... yeah, I think America is thought of and stereotyped the same way everywhere, the only differences are if he/she is consercative or liberal. SatW is really awesome and I have a hard time comparing them since they are two completely different types of humor. I guess I prefer Hetalia because I have read more of it and-is shallow- I love pretty boys. *shot* And I kinda prefer the art style and think it's awesome that it has three different forms. and I love the fanart so frikkin much And yeah, I'm more of the type to mock peopls I don't know to friends, yet am incapable of actually being rude to them when I remember they are also humans. I don't really care if your views differ from mine as long as their arguments are intelligent and researched. And as long as no hateful words are shouted. Once again, on the pasta thread I think? Homphobic comments that really did make me upset. Several bisexual and gay friends, older sister is lesbian, pretty liberal and yaoi loving. Heh, sorry. But you seem cool and I glad you don't just hate the show blindly. And in a way I use to do things like that, everyone has at some point, argue against something you're not sure of. Like I'll argue to hell and back about why I'm right even if I know I'm wrong, simply because the person aggravates me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scandinavia and The World   Scandinavia and The World Empty

Back to top Go down

Scandinavia and The World
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hate Hetalia :: Off Topic :: Manga and anime-
Jump to: